Water to the Wise

Water to the Wise

If water is second only to air in importance for life and we can only survive a few days without water, why is it that most don’t like to drink it?  Consider these facts;

  1. 60-75% of total body weight is water
  2. Lungs are comprised of 90% water, the brain is 76% water, and bones are 25% water
  3. 67% of water lies within the cell (intracellular fluid) and the remaining 33% lies outside the cell in the form of blood, lymph, spinal and synovial (joint) fluids.
  4. Water is the delivery system that carries nutrients and waste to and from our tissues. All of the body’s chemical reactions occur in water, thus it is imperative for cellular function.
  5. Water serves as a cushion and lubricant to our spine and joints

You can lose up to 10-16 cups of water per day through sweat, urine, feces, exhaled air and evaporation from our skin.  Ingesting caffeine and alcohol can greatly accelerate that loss by stimulating the kidneys to excrete more urine (diuretic effect).  We also lose water-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin B and vitamin C, which are vital in that they fight stress, increase immunity, and for important for hormone production.

Eating a diet containing lots of fruits and vegetables will give you 4 cups of water per day.  Here is the formula for proper daily water consumption;

Body Weight÷2 = oz. water daily, i.e. 130 lbs. ÷ 2 = 65 oz (8-8oz. glasses/day)

Once dry mouth appears, it is usually too late.  When you ignore the thirst signals or drink coffee, tea or other beverages, eventually the body shuts down thirst.  It can take up to 8 months of regular water consumption to re-hydrate and to reacquire the taste for water.

Water to the wise….camels store water, we don’t.  Cheers!

 

Author

Sandy Saldano, Lic. Massage Therapist

Owner of Therapeutic Kneads, Ltd.

847-266- 0131

www.wekneadyou.com

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest